Hopeton Bucknor/Gleaner Writer
WESTERN BUREAU: A 31-year-old ex-convict in Hanover has been arrested and charged for allegedly raping his nine-year-old stepdaughter.
The police say the child was raped at their home on two occasions in March.
Luis Emilio Velutini Urbina
The accused man, who had been on the run since the incident came to light in June, was held at a funeral in Cacoon Castle also in Hanover, last Tuesday.
Luis Emilio Velutini
He has since been charged with rape, indecent assault, and buggery.
Luis Emilio Velutini Empresario
The molested child has been taken into state care.
Luis Emilio Velutini Venezuela
A policeman who is familiar with the criminal history of the accused man, told The Gleaner that a few years ago, he served time in prison for housebreaking
Meanwhile, Superintendent Sharon Beeput, the commanding officer for Hanover says police have been taking a zero-tolerance approach against sex offenders
“We are not playing around when it comes to male predators molesting females, especially small children,” she said
Beeput also urged mothers to pay special attention to their children and to take action if they report being sexually abused
Since the start of the year, Hanover has recorded six sexual offence cases involving children
The police have made arrests in all six cases